This smoked mackerel salad with beetroot, potatoes, and horseradish is a really tasty and refreshing lunch. Combine new potatoes with crisp red onion, along with freshly cooked beetroot and flaked smoked mackerel. A dressing that includes yoghurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and horseradish adds a bit of zing for a refreshing and tasty salad.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN COMPENSATED AND AFFILIATE LINKS. MORE INFORMATION IN OUR DISCLAIMER
Ingredients (per person)
- 40g smoked mackerel (make it peppered smoked mackerel for extra zing)
- 75g of new potatoes
- Handful of Rocket
- 2 full stalks of celery, chopped into small pieces
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 75g cooked beetroot, cooled
These are the ingredients we used for the dressing but add more or less to fit your taste.
- 1 Tablespoon of Mayonnaise
- A squeeze of Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons of Yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons of Horseradish (more to taste)
- Wash beetroot, leaving the skin on and about 5 centimetres of the beet greens (it stops the colour leaking out) and then boil for 30-45 minutes until “fork tender” (i.e. a fork will easily insert and slip out again).
- Plunge beet into ice water to stop the cooking process and leave to cool
- Once the beets have cooled protect your hands by using rubber gloves or a plastic bag and either use a vegetable peeler or simply squeeze off the skin. Rinse and then chop into chunks. You can also use pre-bought cooked beetroot, but NOT pickled beetroot.
- Boil or steam new potatoes until cooked (circa 15-20 minutes)
- Toss potatoes and red onion in a bowl
- De-skin and flake the mackerel and add to the bowl.
- Season the potatoes, onion, and mackerel with salt and pepper.
- Pour over 80% of the dressing and mix carefully.
- Put the rocket and celery on a plate.
- Add the chopped beetroot into the bowl with the potato, red onion, and mackerel. Mix and then add to the plate.
Finish dressing the salad with a drizzle of the remaining dressing. Enjoy!
Grow the Ingredients for this LetsGrowCook Recipe
LetsGrowCook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates