We grow many of our vegetables in pots in the back yard. The yard is brick. Brick is seriously hard work on the knees whatever your age and its hell on the knees of my trousers. Even when we have vegetables planted directly into the ground its hard work doing everything from a standing position and we usually resort to kneeling to get closer to the work that needs doing. Protecting my knees and the legs of my trousers from damage isn’t just a nice to have it’s a need to have – and so our search for the best garden kneeler began. Who knew that there was so much choice? Or so many different types of support for the knees in the garden?
There are a variety of different types of kneelers designed specifically for use in the garden, so if you’re looking for something that’s fit for purpose and you want to stop using one of the garden chair cushions (yeah that would be me, guilty as charged) or a rolled-up towel (equally guilty), or one of my wellies (yes tried that too), then you’ve come to the right place.
Best Garden Kneelers in Brief
|Garden Kneeler Style||Highlights||What It Looks Like||Read Reviews & Buy Now!|
|Cushioned pillow garden kneeler||• Shock-Absorbing Foam Is Surrounded By A Luxurious Cushioning Of Memory Foam|
• Measures just 52cm x 30.5cm x 5cm
• Hanging Handle for Easy Storage
|Pick your colour and buy here|
|Metal framed folding garden kneeler stool||• 3in1 Portable folding garden kneeler |
• Heavy-duty metal frame with thick foam padded knee pad seat bench
• Durable spring mechanism fold the legs down for easy and convenient transport and storage
• Suitable for a variety of uses can be used as a stool or a kneeler
• Comes with a fabric tools bag pouch
• Dimensions - approx. 36x19cm
|Check reviews and buy now|
|Garden knee pads||• Wrap around your knees to provide comfort and support|
• Three-layer construction for extra user comfort
• SBR (neoprene) lining for water resistance
• Easy clean, quick-drying nylon cover
• Velcro straps for easy fitting and adjustment
|Buy garden knee pads now|
|Cheapest Garden Kneeler||• Lightweight and durable kneeler mat|
• Made from expanded polyethylene
• A hole for easy hanging and carrying
• Available in purple colour
• Measures 38cm x 20 cm width
|Buy the cheapest garden kneeler here|
|Plastic framed garden kneeler stool||• Compartment under seat size 300 x 140 x 45 mm deep|
• Maximum carrying weight 90 kg (14 stone)
• Plastic frame with rubber inset seat and foam kneeler
|Buy a plastic framed garden kneeler here|
|Luxury extra thick garden kneeler||• Thick, 6 centimetres, high-density memory|
• Waterproof, easy to clean exterior
• Washable neoprene cover – stain-resistant, quick-dry
• Portable and lightweight
• Measures 28cm x 34 cm x 12cm when folded or DOUBLE with 6cm depth when unfolded
|Buy a luxury thick garden kneeler here|
What is a Garden Kneeler?
In essence, it’s a foam cushion or a piece of padding that goes between your knees and the ground. It gives you some protection from all your weight being on your knees. There’s more on the causes of knee pain here. It saves your trousers from wear, tear and dirt. It saves your knees from thorns, scratches and ingrained dirt.
But that’s not all garden kneelers do – depending on how you use them they can become small stools, somewhere to keep your gardening hand tools and even an extension of your personality, if you want to go all out for some of the fancier ones.
Types of Garden Kneelers
There are three main types of garden kneelers. We’ll start simple and go on from here.
Pillow Garden Kneelers
Ultimately extremely portable, these are essentially a padded cushion. They usually have a handle or a hanging hole to make them easy to store. Some are memory foam, some are neoprene covered. Some of the pillow garden kneeler type have a single cushion, others have multiple. This is my favourite type of garden kneeler, simple and easy to use, transport and store.
Knee Pads for Gardening
Gardening knee pads attach to your knees – so you’ll put them on when you head off into the garden and it keeps your hands free for other jobs. Think of them as shin pads for the knees. Some people love them, and they can free you up, so you’re not forever reaching for the knee pad to drag it to the next spot you need to move to, but I find them a little uncomfortable.
Garden Kneeling Stools
A garden kneeler stool is a frame with a cushioned pad attached to it. The frame is also a handle so it’s a good option if getting up and down from kneeling isn’t as easy as it used to be. You can also use this type of garden kneeler as a stool if its easier to sit and deal with some jobs. Most of the garden kneeler stools will fold almost flat. Some have metal frames and some are made of plastic.
What to Consider when buying a Garden Kneeler
The main things to look for when you’re buying a garden kneeler are
- Portability: is it going from the shed to the garden to the shed?
- Storage: Does it need to fold flat? Will you hang it on the wall between uses?
- What’s the weight of it?
- Do you need any handles on it to help with getting up and down from kneeling?
- Do you want a bag attachment to put your tools in?
- Do you prefer knee pads, to keep your hands free?
- Does it need to be waterproof?
- Will you also want to use it as a stool?
Garden Kneeler Reviews
There are lots of different brand options when it comes to garden kneelers – we’ve looked at the best in class for each of the different types and listed our favourites out with the reasons why. Here you go.
Best Garden Kneeler Cushion – Burgon & Ball Kneelo Cushion
The Kneelo offers, for me, the best flexibility of a garden kneeler. There’s memory foam in here encased in a waterproof and neoprene shell. The handle lets you hang it up and its small enough, just 52cm x 30.5cm x 5cm, to store pretty much anywhere. My kneeling cushion might be dark green, but yours doesn’t have to be – they’re available in 12 different colours > pick your favourite colour here
Key Benefits of Garden Kneeler Knee Pads
- Shock-Absorbing Foam Is Surrounded By A Luxurious Cushioning Of Memory Foam
- Measures just 52cm x 30.5cm x 5cm
- Hanging Handle for Easy Storage
Best Metal Framed Garden Kneeler
This three in one metal framed garden kneeler comes with a thick foam padded knee pad and bench. Measuring 36 cm x 19 cm, the bench has a strong spring mechanism to fold the legs down. It is easy to store, transport and used. There’s also a fabric tool bag included. This is a great transportable option which also gives you the added benefit of a frame to help with getting up and down. It’s well priced and a great option – buy it now
Key Benefits of the folding metal frame garden kneeler
- 3in1 Portable folding garden kneeler
- Heavy-duty metal frame with thick foam padded knee pad seat bench
- Durable spring mechanism fold the legs down for easy and convenient transport and storage
- Suitable for a variety of uses can be used as a stool or a kneeler
- Comes with a fabric tools bag pouch
- Dimensions – approx. 36x19cm
Best Garden Knee Pads: – Spear and Jackson Garden Knee Pads
These knee pads from Spear and Jackson are a great option if you prefer to keep your hands free while you’re gardening. They have a neoprene lining for water resistance (note, that’s resistance, not waterproof) and their surface is an easy clean and quick-drying nylon cover. The Velcro straps make them easy to fit, adjust and remove. Buy your knee pads now.
Key Benefits of Garden Kneeler Knee Pads
- Wrap around your knees to provide comfort and support
- Three-layer construction for extra user comfort
- SBR (neoprene) lining for water resistance
- Easy clean, quick-drying nylon cover
- Velcro straps for easy fitting and adjustment
Cheapest Garden Kneeler
This garden kneeler is cheap as chips as they say. It’s very lightweight and durable and is made from expanded polyethylene. There’s a small hole for hanging or carrying. It measures 38 centimetres by 20 centimetres. And it’s cheap. And very purple. So if the cost is your main consideration you can’t go far wrong with this cheap garden kneeler. Pick one up here.
Key Benefits of the cheapest garden kneeler
- Lightweight and durable kneeler mat
- Made from expanded polyethylene
- A hole for easy hanging and carrying
- Available in purple colour
- Measures 38cm x 20 cm width
Best Plastic Framed Garden Kneeler – Draper Gardeners Kneeler Seat
The plastic frame garden kneeler is sturdy and combines a kneeler and a small seat or stool. It can deal with weights up to 14 stone (90 kilos). The Draper garden seat is made of tough plastic and has a rubber seat and foam kneeler. There’s also a storage area under the seat that measures 30cm x 14 cm x 0.45cm. > Pick up your plastic garden kneeler seat here.
Key Benefits of Plastic Framed Garden Kneeler
- Compartment under seat size 300 x 140 x 45 mm deep
- Maximum carrying weight 90 kg (14 stone)
- Plastic frame with rubber inset seat and foam kneeler
Best Extra Thick Garden Kneeler
This extra-thick memory foam garden kneeler is the ultimate luxury when it comes to cushioning for your knees in the garden. A full 6 centimetres of memory foam is covered with stain-resistant nylon-coated neoprene. The cover is removable and water-resistant. It can be used folded or unfolded. Buy some luxury cushioning for your knees here.
Key Benefits of the luxury thick garden kneeler
- Thick, 6 centimetres, high-density memory
- Waterproof, easy to clean exterior
- Washable neoprene cover – stain-resistant, quick-dry
- Portable and lightweight
- Measures 28cm x 34 cm x 12cm when folded or DOUBLE with 6cm depth when unfolded
Final Words on the best Garden Kneelers for Vegetable Gardeners
Whatever your reasons for wanting or needing a kneeling cushion for the garden, it’s clear that there is plenty of choices. What matters when you make your selection is the requirements that you have. Whether it’s a simple cushion or a multi-functional stool, you have many options. We hope we’ve narrowed down the choice. Let us know how you get on figuring out which garden kneeler is for you.
LetsGrowCook is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates..